Bare Skinfood is certified COSMOS Organic by the ACO Certification. The ACO is Australia’s largest certifier for organic and biodynamic produce.
ACO provides certification services to operators from all sectors of the organic industry. Certification ensures compliance with national and international production standards and allows products to be traced back to their origin.
ORGANIC IS A HOLISTIC APPROACH
Organics is not just “chemical free”, but is a holistic means of growing and handling ingredients. The whole system is linked from the soil, plants, animals, food, people and the environment.
Certified Organic products are grown and processed without the use of synthetic chemicals, fertilisers, or GMO’s.
PEACE OF MIND
In order to guarantee that products are organic, they need to be certified. Organic certification involves auditing a companies methods to ensure that they comply with the guidelines of organic production.
Every step of the process from the farms to the end product must be audited according to the Organic Standard to be able to market a product using the organic BUD logo.
COSMOS is a third party certifier specifically for organic and natural cosmetics, which is certified by the ACO.
COSMOS-certified products are produced to the highest standards for organic and natural cosmetics, and are safe, effective and good to use.
COSMOS principals are to:
- Promote the use of products from organic agriculture, and respect biodiversity
- Use natural resources responsibly, and respect the environment
- Use processing and manufacturing that are clean and respectful of human health and the environment
- Integrate and develop the concept of “Green Chemistry”
COSMOS Standard covers all aspects of the sourcing, manufacture, marketing and control of cosmetic products.
- Origin and processing of ingredients
- Water – must comply with hygienic standards
- Minerals and ingredients – must be of natural origin and may be modified with simple chemical reactions
- Physically processed agro-ingredients – may be plant, animal or microbial origin but no GMOs, no critically endangered species, only products of (not a part of) animals
- Chemically processed agro-ingredients – same as above, and the chemical treatments must respect the principles of Green Chemistry with the resulting ingredients complying with strict limitations of toxicity and biodegradability
- Other ingredients – a very limited list of preservatives and some other ingredients and petrochemical moieties are temporarily allowed and are reviewed on a regular basis, taking into account availability of acceptable alternatives.
Companies must also ensure their packaging is minimised and is environmentally friendly.
Finally, all the products produced to these standards have to be certified by an independently authorised certification body, in this case, ACO. They will check everything necessary about the product to verify it complies with the standard and is labelled accurately and clearly, so you can have confidence in what you are buying.
In addition, you will find on the label the percentage of organic ingredients in the product. This is the per cent organic of the whole product so that there is complete transparency.
If you would like to view the whole COSMOS Standard, you can find it here.