WHAT IS SENSITIVE SKIN?
Sensitive skin is when you’re prone to reactions and your skin is always easily irritated.
The outer barrier layer is often impaired which allows irritants and allergens to be absorbed which causes things like inflammation, redness, dry skin, rosacea, dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema. People with sensitive skin are usually born with it so it’s something that will always be around but can be managed.
Because your skins barrier is weakened, a number of things can trigger a reaction. These are things like:
- Harsh weather
- Chemically produced beauty products
- Air pollution
- Dry skin
There is also sensitised skin, which is usually caused by other things like hormones, sun exposure, air pollution, harsh weather, dry skin, really hot water and so on. Rather than a result of genetics, sensitised skin is a result of the environment and lifestyle.
SYMPTOMS OF SENSITIVE SKIN:
- An uncomfortable and tight feeling in the skin
- Some itchiness
- Dry patches
- Possibly sore to touch
THINGS TO AVOID:
- Chemicals in skincare
- Excessive sun exposure
- Really hot showers or baths
- Rubbing the skin dry – patting is gentler
- Things with high acidity
- Wool fabrics and other harsh fibres
- Harsh exfoliants
TIPS TO HELP!
- Really listen to what your skin is trying to tell you
- Keep your skin really hydrated
- Keep things you use everyday clean like pillowcases and makeup brushes (these could spread bacteria which could cause inflammation)
- Switch to natural products with no fragrances or harsh chemicals
- Don’t use what everyone else is using even if it’s ‘on trend’. Your skin will look its best when it’s healthy and for that you must listen to it
- Don’t put your whole face under the shower head – this is usually too harsh
- Don’t have really hot showers and once finished rinse with luke warm or cold water to calm and sooth the skin
- Don’t use soap – it’s way too drying and strips the skin
- Try buying cotton or bamboo clothing - something soft to the touch
- Look for cosmetic products with fewer ingredients in the list
We have made our products specifically for those of you with sensitive skin. After trying countless products and always having reactions, we wanted a brand that could deliver all the benefits we wanted – while also accommodating to our irritable skin.
So we have not only used the majority of certified organic ingredients, but we have only included the ones, which have been proven to be safe for sensitive and fussy skin. While these ingredients provide amazing benefits for every other skin type, it was always our number one priority that we only included the best performing, hypoallergenic ones.
If you want to know a bit more about the ingredients used in our range, you can find out more in our skinfood glossary.