Water is so crucial as it helps with healthy digestion, absorption, circulation and helps remove toxins from the body.
As your skin is an organ, it is made up of cells, which are all made up of water. So without water, these cells will not be able to take in nutrients or perform at their best!
- Without enough water your skin will look dull and a bit lifeless
- Your skin will show more wrinkles and your pores can look more prominent
- Water will help to plump the skin as it supports collagen production
- When your skin is hydrated and plump, it is less likely to let in external toxins that can cause irritations and blemishes. This will also help with skin conditionals like eczema and psoriasis.
- Dehydrated skin can also cause acne, as your body will tend to make more sebum to compensate for the dryness
Everyday we loose so much water everyday so it’s important to replace it.
You should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, but be sure to spread them out. It wont be beneficial to have them all close together as your body can only store so much in an hour and you’ll probably end up just peeing it all out! So be sure to stagger the glasses throughout the day. I always like to have a water bottle so I know exactly how many ml’s I’ve had. My favourite drink bottle at the moment is the Frank Green Smart Bottle as it lets you know when you need to drink more!
As the water will travel to all the other organs before it hits the skin, and technically wont get the very outermost layer, it is also important to hydrate your skin from the outside as well. This will keep the moisture in, and stop any from escaping as well. An ingredient like Vitamin E is ideal for this.
Make sure you apply your moisturiser no longer than about 2 minutes after showering as your pores will still be open and will have a better chance of absorbing all the nutrients. Also any time after this, your skin will start to dry out.